Sunday, August 31, 2008

Zucchini Festival

Like some of our other activities in Ohio, the Zucchini Festival will be most remembered for all of the hicks that we saw. I call them "hicks" for lack of a more politically-correct descriptor.

According to wikipedia, to call someone white trash is to accuse a white person of being economically, educationally and/or culturally bankrupt. White trash should be differentiated from the more socially acceptable term Redneck.

My favorite "redneck" moment was not the pony turn. It was not the zucchini fudge. It was not the fried snickers bar (pictured). It was the mouse run (unfortunately, not pictured). Inside a large booth was a round spinning table that had holes numbered 1-100 along the perimeter. The booth workers would hold a mouse (named Sparky) above the table and then drop it. Whatever hole the mouse ran into for cover was the hole that won. The cost to play the game was 25 cents. If you had placed your quarter onto the correct hole number then you would win a larged stuffed animal. I placed quarters on numbers 65 and 61, but alas, victory was not for me.

4 comments:

rachie_lelei said...

Hey! I wasn't sure what was the best way to get in contact with you Ryan, but I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! Hope life is as wonderful as you deserve!

Rachel

Brittany said...

OK, you guys, you seriously have to stop calling them 'hicks'!!! Try 'locals'...it's much better :)

ohana=)mama said...

I think that we all have a little bit of redneck in us right! I mean I have read a few You Know Your a Redneck IF jokes and been guilty!

For example you might be a redneck if the police have contacted you about your bonfires or you might be a redneck if you've spent a Saturday taking rides in the bucket of a backhoe.

Ok so maybe you can't relate but well... I surely can!

Heee Heee Heee

Oh and I just helped cut up and grind a newly killed Elk into hamburger!

Ahhhh yah I'm guilty! Oh Oh Oh so guilty and what's crazy about it is I'm actually proud of it... beaming in fact.

Oh and by the way my husband thinks that the fried snickers would be a great idea for snack at family night!

Maybe I should just call claim it. I'm a MORMON REDNECK and proud of it!

Melissa said...

All of your pictures are SO fun!!! But I have to admit - I think this one of you and Max is the craziest of all - YOU have a baby! It is still weird to me:) Beautiful, and exciting, but weird. Congrats on the handsome boy. (Sarah, you look GREAT!!!) I hear you are an amazing parents. Can't wait to meet the cutie in a couple weeks!