Saturday, August 2, 2008

Baby Maxwell






Sharing an August 1 birthday with the likes of Francis Scott Key, Herman Melville, and Coolio, Maxwell Ryan Meacham decided to come into the world after 14 hours of induced labor at 11:46 pm. Weight: 8 lbs, 7 ozs. Length: unknown.

The labor process was quite “laborious” (how ‘bout that for a descriptor). Apparently, Baby Max just didn’t want to come out. I mean, who wouldn’t want to stay in a microwave oven drinking over and over again his own urine to his heart’s content?

The delivery was unique for me because the nurse midwife, knowing that I was a 4th year med student, convinced me that I should be the one delivering the baby because this might never get to happen again. So I scrubbed in and when the time came, pulled out his greasy cheese-caked body.

We actually had a little scare for a few minutes when he came out. The cord was wrapped so snugly around his neck that they couldn’t reduce it, but had to cut it off him before he was out of the birth canal. He came out completely blue and limp. After I tossed him onto Sarah’s belly for 5 seconds while they dried him off, they quickly took him over to the incubator where they placed a bag valve mask over his mouth and pumped oxygen into his lungs. He stayed blue and still hadn’t moved. They called the NICU nurse to come intubate him. After a minute of endotracheal ventilation he started turning pink and about 30 seconds later he started moving on his own. They took the tube out 5 minutes later and he has done fine ever since.

In total he was probably motionless for about 3 or 4 minutes, but it seemed like a couple of eternities waiting for him to show signs of life. We were so grateful for the nursing staff who acted so quickly to resuscitate him. I have no doubt that had it been a home delivery he would not have lived.

Sarah was a champ throughout it all. In fact, true to form, she seemed more concerned about other people than herself. She asked Dad Jeffery if he needed an extra pillow for his head while he rested, and then she kept asking all of the nurses, doctors, and midwives about their own children. It was very painful for her, but she was very much under control. She didn’t even need me to do the Bill Cosby cheer I had prepared ahead of time: “Push him out, shove him out, wayyyyy out!” (Actually, I might have been slapped if I had tried.)

In short, things are well. We hope you all get to see him at some point, hopefully sooner than later. He seems like a real calm fellow so far.


15 comments:

Mbeth said...

hey congrats to the new parents! Im glad everything turned out ok and have fun with your newborn and even less sleep!

Bowen Family said...

Oh, you guys! Congratulations on such a sweet, little baby! We're so excited and thrilled for you! You will be such great parents! We can't wait to meet him!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, you guys. You're gonna love being parents.

Abby said...

Congratulations! I am glad everything turned out so well. Our little boys will have to be friends. Our little boy is due in 2 weeks!!

Unknown said...

OMG! I am SO very excited and happy for the Meacham family!!! Congratulations!! And kudos to Sarah for being a star through it all! =) Gorgeous photograph of Sarah and Maxwell! Oh wow! I cannot wait to meet you guys =)

Russ and Ashley said...

Wow I am glad everything turned out okay. Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! congratulations you guys. I'm so glad you had a healthy baby boy. Maxwell is superb name. Take care and god bless.

Ryan: I love your singing performance on your blog. You're awesome!!

Anonymous said...

congrats! what an amazing birth story. have fun parenting a boy!

Sue said...

Congrats! He is a cutie. Perhaps you can teach him your rat-catching skills soon? =)

Misti Lee said...

Congrats! I am happy he has finally arrived and that you now get the joys of parenthood. Sarah you are looking great in your picture! When are you coming to Utah?

Maya said...

Congrats! I'm glad that Maxwell is here safe and sound now. We're really happy for you! :-)

~ Maya & Mark Z

Linda said...

Congratulations Sarah and Ryan! Welcome little Max! I can't wait to meet you, and I'm all ready for you when you need a baby sitter. :) You did great, Sarah! The rest are all a piece of cake. :) Love, Hugs, & Prayers.

ohana=)mama said...

That is so scary I almost cried reading it. I know how it feels to be worried about a newborn. I bet you've never felt your heart drop that far before have you!!! I am so happy that it turned out spectacular = )! Please let me know when you are in Utah. I will make a valiant effort to come and see you and your new baby Max! Now you have to post more often so I can watch him grow up. = )

Angie said...

That's a big baby for you Sarah. I'm glad that he's here and everything went okay. That's a scary birth story you have there! We miss you guys

Erin said...

Congratulations! I am so glad everything worked out. That was one scary story.